Latest Team Rankings
Free Text Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
September 16, 2012Some notes and interesting tidbits from Saturday's game, courtesy of Aggie Athletics and a few that I dug up myself:
* Johnny Manziel's 29-yard touchdown pass to Ryan Swope in the second quarter was the first of his A&M career.
* Trey Williams' touchdown in the fourth quarter was the first of his A&M career.
* Julien Obioha's sack and forced fumble on Garrett Gilbert were both firsts for him.
* Tramain Jacobs' interception was the first of his career and the Aggies' first forced turnover of the season.
* Shaun Ward's sack of Gilbert in the fourth quarter was the first of his career.
JOHNNY FOOTBALL, RECORD BREAKER:
Johnny Manziel broke or tied the following freshman records by throwing for 294 yards and four touchdowns and compiling 416 yards of total offense Saturday:
Passing in a game: (280 by Kevin Murray vs. Rice, 1983)
Total Offense (299 by Murray vs. Rice, 1983)
Passing TD (4 by Kevin Murray vs. Arkansas, 1983; Jeff Granger vs. Tulsa, 1991; Reggie McNeal vs. Oklahoma, 2002)
His 416 yards of total offense are the seventh highest for an individual in Texas A&M history.
* Mike Evans has led Texas A&M in receiving in both of his first two games as an Aggie.
* Evans now has 13 catches for 183 yards after his 6 catch, 123-yard performance against SMU.
* Evans tied the A&M school record for fastest 100-yard receiving game in A&M history, which EZ Nwachukwu held alone since 2009 when he broke the century mark against Utah State in his second game.
The FIRST QUARTER...AND EVERYTHING ELSE
* Texas A&M compiled 608 yards of total offense and averaged 7 yards per play Saturday. In the first quarter, they compiled 60 yards on 16 plays, an average of 3.75 yards per play.
* Johnny Manziel was sacked twice in the first quarter. He was not sacked the rest of the game.
* The Aggies gained more yardage on their first scoring drive (61 yards) than they had in the first quarter.
* The Aggies gained 237 yards (8.2 yards per play) in the second quarter.
* The Aggies averaged 8.4 yards per play in the third quarter, when they scored on all 3 of their drives (79, 75 and 24 yards).
* True or redshirt freshmen led the Aggies in passing, rushing, receiving and tackles Saturday.
* Damontre Moore now has 5 sacks on the season, leading the nation, after his two against SMU. He did not play at Kyle Field against SMU last year, had two total tackles through 2 games and didn't have 5 sacks until the 10th game of last season.
* Spencer Nealy has 2.5 tackles for loss and 2 sacks on the year. He had 8 TFL and 1.5 sacks for all of last year.
* Both of EZ Nwachukwu's two receptions Saturday were for touchdowns.
* SMU had 6 different 3rd and short (1 or 2 yards to go) situations in the game. The two times they ran the football, they converted; the four times they threw, they did not.
* In his A&M career, Jameill Showers is now 10-12 for 122 yards. He hasn't thrown an interception or a touchdown pass.
* A&M is the first team in June Jones' SMU coaching career to keep the Mustangs out of the end zone at home.
* A&M has outscored SMU 94-17 over the past two seasons.
* A&M has not turned the ball over in two games. Their first turnover in 2011 came against the University of Idaho in the Aggies' second game.
* Garrett Gilbert's stats in two starts against A&M: 40-86 for 422 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT and 7 sacks.
Texas A&M NEWS